"The New Normal"


Hey Party People, 

Who else keeps hearing this phrase, “the new normal”?

I continue to hear it and even say it sometimes myself to try and wrap my head around the days ahead. What we need to remember though is that this virus and this uncertainty won’t last forever. It will pass, we just need to get through it, and get through it together.

In the meantime, as we adjust to the new normal of social distancing, working from home with kids and pets and food as distractions, cycles of anxiety, or just the uncertainty of today's world…. We need to remember always, that we still have today.

There are many things going on around us that we cannot control, but there are still things that we can.

Our Mindset. Pay attention to the thoughts and phrases you play in your head. Are you saying, “We don’t have enough toilet paper! We need 72 more rolls!” or are you saying, “this is all a hoax, I don’t know what everyone is so worried about,” or are you fighting and saying, “damnit I can fight this thing!” or are you being grateful and saying, “I am thankful for today,” or being hopeful and saying, “we will get through this.” CHOOSE YOUR THOUGHTS.

Our Bodies. Sleep, healthy food, movement. How are your body and mind reacting to this new normal? Our bodies have the incredible ability to heal themselves, all we have to do is give them fuel and give them rest. BREATHE, SLOW DOWN, AND BE KIND TO YOURSELF.

Our Surroundings. Where are you spending most of your time? In a room that fills with sunlight or a dingy basement? Staring at a screen or interacting with your kids? Surrounded by empty pizza boxes or a clean and fresh room? Ask what you need to surround yourself with. YOUR SURROUNDINGS MATTER.

Our Media. What we consume feeds our thoughts and feelings. It's important to stay informed, yes, but notice how you feel before and after you read a news article, before and after you go on Twitter of Facebook. Notice if you spend enough time away from media to see if it's affecting you. For me, my social media pages are full of cat or dating memes, friends, and motivational positivity. FEED YOUR MIND.

The reason I talk about these things is because the new normal doesn’t have to be a space and place where we hide, where we cower, and where we feed the cycle of fear. We CAN choose something different, something positive.

Create a new normal that serves you. I know it feels uncomfortable and uncontrollable, but these times are forcing us to change, forcing us to refocus. Where we put that focus and how we change is up to us. Who do you want to be today? Who do you want to be as we move through these unprecedented times? And who do you want to be when we get to the other side?


Who I want to be:

Today - I want to find strength and dig deep into my soul to find gratitude (today is a harder day for me).

Throughout this time - I want to be a source of hope and positivity and serve as a reminder that today is a gift.

After - I want to be a better, stronger, healthier and more resilient me… AND still, fit in my jeans. ðŸ˜‰

I would love to know who you want to be! Please connect and share it with me.

Once again I’ll leave you with a party jam to lift your spirits.
Party Jam – Wild Ones, Kip Moore


With Gratitude,

-S

P.S. Follow me on social for live messages and positive media!

Instagram: @mssarastepa
Facebook: @SaraStepa

Comments

  1. I definitely don’t think this is a new normal. Being someone who does have a new normal post a traumatic brain injury and Diffuse Axonal Injury, I cant see this epidemic as a new normal, and when i see that it kinda annoys me. But I do see it as a time for people to reevaluate their daily life and what they do and maybe find things through this experience that are not as important as they once thought or maybe are super important and gives you a time to reflect on what that is and what’s most important to you 💜

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bring the Joy

That Person in the Mirror

I Don't Get An Opinion