Those Little Gremlins

Hey Party People, 

What a beautiful week we are having here in YYC!! I have had my windows wide open every night to let the crisp Spring air in. Oh the small things :)
I'm curious if some of you are like me. Have you ever had a dream or a goal you wanted to pursue but never did? Something like going back to school, trying out for the track team, writing a book, starting a business, etc. Do you ever wonder why you didn’t go for it? I’ve had many dreams or aspirations that never came to fruition that I let float away into the abyss. But why do we let our dreams drift away so easily? My theory, it's those darn little gremlins. Let me explain with a little story.
I set upon a more ambitious path for 2020 setting specific goals and intentions. And they scared me. I set the goal of running a marathon. I completed a half marathon a few years ago but running really fell off my workout regime until about Spring last year. My average distance over the past year has been approximately 5km. So am I a runner, yes, but am I a long-distance runner, no. Not yet.
A marathon is a big goal, and boy do I know it! From the moment I wrote it in my journal, to announcing it on social (I thought saying it to others would keep me more accountable) I've struggled with self-doubt. I’m always battling with these tiny little gremlins that sneak into my head and plant seeds of doubt. Can I really do this?
Since the beginning of the year I’ve been confronted with obstacles that keep getting in my way. I was down and out with multiple colds in January/February and the flu in early March…. Then a freaking global pandemic hit! The gyms closed, all races were canceled, and my routine got thrown out the window. Thankfully running is something I can do outside so once my emotions leveled off, I got back out there, but it was March, now April. We don’t have Spring like other cities, its cold, its icy, and the weather is unpredictable. And now that it’s gorgeous outside, I’ve been graced with an injury. Self-diagnosed, but I think its pretty accurate. I have a strained IT-band, and hip flexor tendinitis. My hip flexors now flare up with fiery pain on all runs over 7km. So now…. I am forced to rest…and put a pin in my training.
Now with each obstacle that crosses my path those darn little gremlins keep sneaking back into my mind. They keep saying, “just give up, try again next year,” or, “see I knew it, you’re not strong enough.”
If you’re like me, you’ve probably experienced these tiny little gremlins dashing your dreams or self-esteem. The little nah sayer that creates excuses or puts you down. That little voice that says you’re not enough or you can’t do it. Well I am here to tell you….
That voice is not your own.
That voice is not the truth.
That voice is bull sh*t.
Kick those tiny gremlins to the curb and do your thing. Whatever dream you have, just try. Just Do it. What do you have to lose?  Now when you read that and you hear the voice in your head say…but I  <enter excuse> ,”
Those are the tiny little gremlins you guys! And those gremlins are controlling your life.
Instead of listening to these gremlins, what if we planted seeds of hope and encouragement in our mind. What if we started to believe in ourselves and believed that we were capable. As the saying goes if you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time. If we could tackle our dreams one piece at a time, they would not only be more achievable, but more believable. 
One piece, one day, one step at a time, you can achieve your dreams, but first, you have to silence the gremlins and start to believe in yourself. Next time those little gremlins pipe up with their opinion, you say, “not today tiny Gremlins!” And you go along your way of achieving your dreams. I know I will keep trying every day. 


Granada, Spain, street art by El Niño de las Pinturas.
Aaaaad here's your fun jam for the day, 

YouTube >> Sigala - Easy Love     
Spotify >> Sigala - Easy Love 

If you’re online reach out to me on social, say hi 😊
Instagram: @mssarastepa
Facebook: @SaraStepa

With so much gratitude,

-S

P.S. 

If you're waiting for things to go back to "normal," you'll be waiting a while. Take a look at my previous post "When Do I Get My Life Back," for the kickstart you might need. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bring the Joy

Another Monday…

That Person in the Mirror