YOU. ONLY. LIVE. ONCE.

Hey Party People,

It’s SUMMERTime!! I know it looks different than we’re used to, where we don’t quite have the same freedoms, but in my eyes, the sun doesn’t stop shining y ’all. I’ve had many people say (even before COVID happened) that there was nothing to do in Calgary. Maybe you’ve heard the same where you live, but I just don’t believe that’s true, there is ALWAYS something going on, you just have to look for it and want to find it. So why is it so hard to find things to do? Well, I think it’s because we’re often so caught up in or exhausted from our to-do lists. When we need to do anything above and beyond our daily tasks or things that might require a little extra effort it just isn’t happening. Its too much work.
Or if youre like me maybe you struggled with the work-life balance. I often shame myself when I lose focus or spend a day “doing nothing” when I could be knocking things off that or working towards my goals. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how you look at it, that to-do list will always be there. We will always have “work” to do, whether it’s meal prepping (which I missed this week), or its the stack of laundry in the hallway, or diving into the abyss of never-ending emails. Its there and it will be there tomorrow. But the days of summer won’t be. Your youth won’t be, you will never be as young as you are today. Your kids won’t re-live their firsts if you miss them. Your parents are aging and changing too. We can’t just let time pass in autopilot; we have to remember to live!
My motto for the past decade, which I’ll happily share with you, is hands down YOLO.
YOU. ONLY. LIVE. ONCE.
I started using this motto when I first began traveling and made a promise to myself, I would try anything and everything along the way. I didn’t want to miss an opportunity or experience because I knew I would never be in that space or place again. The same goes for our day to day, those moments cannot be re-done. For me YOLO has become my motivator to keep trying new things and to say YES (which gets me into trouble sometimes, but there’s always a story in the end). It’s a reminder to me that days and weeks pass whether we like it or not and that it’s up to us to fill our time. And for us Canadians Summertime is SO SHORT so we have to make the most of it.
The point is if you’re anything like me you may put your to-do list ahead of living it up. We all do and its natural but sometimes we have to stop worrying and stressing and working so dang hard and remember that our lives are passing us by, our SUMMER is passing us by – it’s almost the end of July already!!
This is your reminder that You Only Live Once and to make the most of your days. You may even be surprised how much easier that to-do list becomes when you’ve brought a little fun and happiness into your life.
So for those of you who don’t think there is anything to do in YYC I’m giving you a list of 10 things to check out!   
1. #VibranceYYCPARK worked with CMLC, Leetia Lyons, and Michelle Hoogveld. Together they’ve created an interactive installment on St. Patricks Island, in support of public programming and physical distancing guidelines. Check out this spot, they even have outdoor Barre classes or Salsa lessons.
2. CNIB sensory garden. As described on the Everyday Tourist blog, it’s a safe place where the visually impaired of all ages can develop the skills and confidence needed to become more mobile and independent. All the plants were selected for their distinct smells and textures to create a sensory experience. The garden is also open to the public free of charge. 

3. Visit a Farmers market and grab some local eats. You could visit Calgary’s Farmers Market on Blackfoot, or take the drive out to Millarville Market. Check dates and times and don’t forget your masks, markets are still bustlin’!

4. Drive-in movie nightsJust launched by Curiocity, Motor Nights: A Series of Drive-In Events in partnership with YYC Food trucks! Throw it back with a cool movie night in your cozy car with your friends or fam.

5. Wander the Beltline and do a B.U.M.P. mural tour. The Beltline Urban Mural Project (BUMP) started in 2017 transforming blank building walls into works of art. Check out their website for an interactive map and cool pop ups this August.

6. Re-experience the Music Mile. We’ve all been missing the live music scene this year but Live From Music Mile: It’s Friday Night!  has stepped up to help fill this void. Its Friday Night! is a collaborative initiative between Calgary Arts Development and the Music Mile team bringing live events back for our enjoyment. Online and in-person events available!

 7. Play a round of Disc Golf – all you need is a frisbee, no need for the special discs! Visit the David Richardson Memorial Disc Golf course in Royal Vista, it’s a beautiful course of over 27 acres of rolling aspen hills. Don’t forget the bug spray! There are also courses in Bowness Park, Forest Lawn and Lake Bonavista.

8. Visit the beautiful Rockies and go for a hikeThere are ENDLESS hikes for all abilities within 2 hours of the city. Check out the All Trails app to find a suitable one for you and your peeps! I recommend going early or on a weeknight, this activity has increased in popularity which you’ll notice when trying to find parking.

9. Visit containR. A pop-up arts and culture hub in Sunnyside! containR is the first city permitted Art Park in Calgary and the land it sits on the first brownfield (empty lot) to be returned to community use in the city.

10. Wander into a local bookstore. My fav is the Next Page in Inglewood. If you visit don’t miss out on the oldie discount section in the basement. You might even find a classic!

Get your speakers and sneakers ready its Party jam time!

Have a great day and ENJOY your summer. Get out there and YOLO and then tell me all about it. Give me a follow on Insta @TheOnlySaraStepa and subscribe on the main page!

With gratitude and love,

-S

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing. I love adventures as youn know we have shared a few😜 over the years. I appreciate all your encouragement to try new things.
    We all could use this reminder to enjoy our moments NOW. When our time is over I’m sure we won’t think “I wish I would’ve worked more”

    YOLO

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Don't Get An Opinion

That Person in the Mirror

Bring the Joy