How is COVID-19 Happening FOR you?

Hey Party People,


I hope you are having a wonderful and beautiful week. I know it started off a bit gloomy and CHILLY, but yesterday here in YYC the sun was shining and it felt like a NEW day! There’s something special about sunshine after gloomy days or a rainbow after a storm. Its always more beautiful, don’t you think? What if we chose to focus on our rainbows and the rays of sunshine in our lives right now instead of the storm of unknowns swirling around us.
I’ve started a new mantra, “how is COVID happening FOR me?” I’m trying to focus on changes and our adjusted reality in positive ways. Ha I know you saw that coming (positivity central over here!). This practice may come in handy as the province begins our re-launch strategy. Starting today most of the province can begin opening up, but Calgary was an exception. It came as a blow and surprise yesterday evening for many restaurant owners, hairstylists, and more, who are excited for the upcoming long weekend. We were all excited, though a little hesitant, to get our freedom back. It gave us hope for a shift in the “right” direction. Instead, we remain in the same space we’ve been for the past 8+weeks.
So now think, “how is COVID happening FOR you?” When things don’t go as we expect them to maybe it's for a reason. What if this is something we have to walk through to prepare us for what comes next. 

Stop. Listen. Learn. 

We will continue to navigate changes in our homes, our businesses, and our relationships and we WILL continue to have to navigate these things. So let's do it with a growth mindset. What can I be learning from this situation, or how can I see the positive and why is this decision being made. When we stop putting ourselves and our egos at the centre of every thought, decision, and emotion we open ourselves up to really seeing and experiencing the world around us. Try it out.

I’ll share a few simple things that I’ve noticed COVID happening FOR me.
1. The Value of Family
As we all refocus our attention on our homes and our families we all have a lot more “family time. Some days I’m sure some of you could do with a little less family time haha but I do think COVID has reminded us of the value of family. I know for me, as my calendar got wiped out I have so much more time available. And without the option or opportunity to meet up with my friends, or to date, I spend so much more time with my family. Every weekend we ask, what night are we having dinner together? I’ll bring the dessert, I’ll cook, or let's support local and do takeout.
My family has also been truly grateful for the time we choose to spend together. Every other family or friend we seem to talk to has been extremely disciplined and kept their social circle to the confines of their household. With me living alone, my parents isolated on an acreage, and a brother and sister in law with a baby on the way and a toddler, we all needed each other for our mental health. We chose to put our value on family to get us through. And for all of you who are capital “D” disciplined and staying within your own home, you’re a Rockstar, because we couldn’t do it.
2. The Value of a Clear Calendar
Last year, my calendar was packed. I would have to slot in my friends or a social visit 3+ weeks in advance. Every single week I had meet-ups, board meetings, homework nights, or social get-togethers. My to-do list never ended but I felt accomplished and like I was contributing to my city, my job, and myself. I truly thought I had a good balance. ENTER COVID… and a now clear calendar. Last year something like this would have given me intense anxiety, what would I do with my time…I hate being bored. Incredibly though, it gave me the opposite feeling. Having a clear calendar gave me my freedom back. I now bake almost every single week. I spend my evenings or mornings writing. I spend so much more time with my family as mentioned above. Without being pulled in 16 different directions I am now able to choose my direction.
We have a new opportunity to re-focus our attention on the things that matter to us. I was chatting with a new friend last week and she said she was grateful that her kid's sports and afterschool activities had been cancelled. Prior to this, every weeknight or weekend was dedicated to sports. Now they have their freedom to plan family activities, enjoy a nice dinner at home, or plan a little adventure. With an open calendar, we have been given our freedom back to choose our direction instead of rushing through life.
3. The Value of the Telephone
Ammi right?! Who else has been reminded of this sweet sweet invention called the telephone? And no I don’t mean video chats either – those have their own value, but the telephone you guys, what a glorious thing! I almost wish I could fire up one of those oldies with the curled up cord, you know before cordless phones were a thing.
I had phones growing up, obviously(!) but I rarely used them. When I was little I would run down the street and knock on my friend's door to ask them to play, or I would wander to the park down the street and see who was there to play. This eventually changed with the times and as my family moved to Okotoks I began chatting on MSN, then started texting a short time after. I never really used phones to talk and I grew to dislike it. I was a texting gal through and through. But now… I’ve been reintroduced!
For the first time in I don’t remember how long, I called my grandma on her birthday. I’m embarrassed to admit this but I’ve rarely if ever, made an effort to connect with my only remaining grandparent. And it felt, special.
I’ve called friends when I’ve been in the middle of a meltdown, or they’ve called me as they struggle through a break-up. I’ve been able to connect with people in real-time and not wait until I see them. That’s how I usually went about connecting with my friends, I would wait until I saw them to catch up or share stories. I preferred real-life meetups! Naturally, though we can’t have enough of those and before I never had enough of those either, especially with the schedule I was leading. The telephone… ok cellphone, has allowed me to reconnect with people in real-time! Is it just me? Whose been reminded of this sweet invention?
These are just a few SIMPLE things that have opened my eyes to how COVID-19 is happening FOR me and not TO me. As I’ve paid more attention I see more and more things, GOOD things, that are a result of COVID-19. I know it may seem strange but in many ways, I am thankful for COVID. What changes would you say you are thankful for? Try asking yourself how is this happening FOR me, and not TO me.

Time to get your weekend going with this dancing tune!

YouTube >>  Pink – Raise Your Glass



If you’re online reach out to me on social, say hi ðŸ˜Š
Instagram: @mssarastepa
Facebook: @SaraStepa

With so much gratitude,

-S

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Don't Get An Opinion

Find Your Purpose

Bring the Joy